Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas 2010

Shalay and Wolf flew in a little early (Dec. 17) and Ben drove in Sunday so they would have the car for the trip to his folks in Winston-Salem.  Monday night all the grandkids except Kenzie who was sick, and Ryan, my nephew stayed over for a slumber party.  Amazing what my house turns into when you get that many kids of so many ages, plus baby toys, pillows, blankets, quilts, Wii games and all the other electronics kids own these days!  Wolfie just joined in from the start-I loved seeing him adding to the body pile on top of all the pillows, quilts which made great snuggle pallets on the floor!  We cheated a little on the cookie making-the tea cake recipe stayed crumbly and had to be rolled and sliced like purchased sugar cookies-they did do a little decorating on them though and pretty tasty.
Then Tuesday night Keith made a huge tray of  great venison steak and we ate most of it!  Shalay and I did some biscuits, mashed potatoes and veggies.  We tried out a new cookie recipe dipped in dark chocolate (which was okay but won't be repeated-have to try new ones but not all become tradition).  Traditional treats  that have to be made are Magic Cookie Bars and Cracker Toffee-no one turns these down.
Wednesday, December 22, which would have been our 48th wedding anniversary and always hard for me, was so much better because all the kids and grandkids were here for dinner.  We had turkey, dressing, green beans, broccoli, mashed potatoes and  pinto beans. Michele made deviled eggs, Leighanne brought rolls and more variety of cookies.  Then this was our night to exchange gifts.  I felt like I had already gotten my Christmas gifts-the new fence that I have wanted and they replaced and installed my burned out dryer.  Shalay and Ben got a device to convert my cassettes (with voices recorded of C. L., my parents and Russ and Shalay when they were little).  Also got $100 Walmart gift card, a handmade yarn scarf from Abbey and her special card, some BurtsBee lotions, a beautiful Angel, a Snow pillow, some great chocolate treats, etc, etc.  Have to explain about my gifts to the kids in a separate post, with the photos!)
Thursday we finally finished wrapping all the other presents so we could be ready for family night with my sister and brother and their families.  We have a wonderful houseful when everyone is here!  We always have finger foods which ends up being a little of everything-have pictures to share.  I think everyone enjoys playing our dirty santa game.  I love seeing the kids open their presents and this year we had two babies-Wolf's 2nd Christmas and Lydia's 1st!.
This morning I prepared my traditional Christmas brunch a day early so that Shalay, Ben and Wolfie could be with us.  Breakfast pizza (they call it), sausage balls, ham and ambrosia.   Today seemed especially hard for me when they left for Winston-Salem.  I am most thankful that I have heard from Shalay already safe there at Ben's folks.  Thank you God for protecting my precious family!  Tonight Russ invited me over to their house to share in one of their traditions.  Donna, Leighanne's mother prepares a great lasagna and it was so sweet of them to invite me.
Now the house is empty but my heart is still filled with sweet memories of these last few days with those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing what I love

Doing what I love
doing what I love!

Rainbow Cards

Rainbow Cards
love this new stamp set!

Making a few cards

Making a few cards


Mother's Day 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Crochet a heart

http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/2008/02/sweet-heart-cro.html

Recipes for My Happiness

Recipes for My Happiness

Recipe Cards with photos

Recipe Cards with photos

Recipe Box Top

Recipe Box Top